The Observatory of Skinakas is located in the homonymous peak of Psiloritis Mountain, at an altitude of 1750 meters, some 20 kilometers away from Anogeia heading to Idaion Andron. The Observatory is visible, just before you reach the plateau of Nida. The idea to build an observatory in Skinakas was first conceived in the summer of 1984. It was then that the road to the summit of the mountain had been opened. The University of Crete, the “Technology and Research Foundation” (then Research Center of Crete) and the “Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics” in Germany agreed to place and operate jointly a telescope in order to enrich the education of the students of the University and allow extended research concerning celestial objects like comets.
The Observatory was ready and opened its doors to its visitors in 1986 to observe the Comet of Halley that passed near the Earth. In 1988 the construction of the stone – built hostel was completed and had the capacity to house the first observational astrophysics school in Greece. The Observatory offers free visiting days each year in order for its visitors to have a first acquaintance of the operation of the Observatory and learn about the latest achievements in Astrophysics.